Winter English IPA with Experimental El Dorado Hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
I have decided to create a "Winter" English IPA for the cold nights upcoming. In BYO, I read about the experimental El Dorado hops and the first thing that came to mind for me was a rich, English IPA combining the candy-like aromas of El Dorado with the piney character of Chinook.

Draconian Libations': Set the Snow Afire (Extra English IPA)

OG 1.075
FG 1.013
IBU 80
SRM 13.7
ABV 7.9%
6 Gallons

13 lbs 04 oz - Crisp Maris Otter (75.0%)
02 lbs 08 oz - Weyermann Vienna (15.6%)
00 lbs 10 oz - Crisp English Crystal 60 (4.7%)
00 lbs 08 oz - Crisp English Crystal 120 (3.1%)
00 lbs 02 oz - Briess Special Roast (1.6%)

1.00 Oz Chinook (11.40% AA) 60 Mins

1.00 Oz El Dorado (16.00% AA) 30 Mins
0.25 Oz Chinook (11.40% AA) 30 Mins

1.00 Oz El Dorado (16.00% AA) 10 Mins
0.25 Oz Chinook (11.40% AA) 10 Mins

1.00 Oz El Dorado (16.00 % AA) 2 Mins
0.25 Oz Chinook (11.40% AA) 2 Mins

1.50 Oz El Dorado (16.00% AA) 10 Day Dry-Hop
0.50 Oz Chinook (11.40% AA) 10 Day Dry-Hop

Wyeast #1272 American Ale II

...Im pretty excited about this recipe and Im CHOMPING at the bit to brew it.

I altered the hop schedule a little bit. The beer is on it's last few days of dry hopping. I'm pleased so far and I'm excited to bottle it this weekend. Very hoppy but incredibly balanced. I'll give a full update when it's carbed and ready. It appears that the El Dorado hops give a sweet, fruity aroma and flavor. Neat hop.

[email protected]

How did this end up? Sounds incredible. I wanna try brewing with el dorado soon. Would you recommend them? I wanna try an ipa bittered with nelson sauvin and use the el dorado for flavoring and aroma.

How did this end up? Sounds incredible. I wanna try brewing with el dorado soon. Would you recommend them? I wanna try an ipa bittered with nelson sauvin and use the el dorado for flavoring and aroma.

This beer was the hit of the Christmas party. Its very hoppy but the El Dorados are quite restrained as far a big hop punch. You'd never know its a 100 IBU beer but don't get me wrong...its bitter. The English dark crystal character is crucial. Make sure you use Crisp if you brew this. I would definitely recommend it. Sadly, Ive only a few bottles left and it keepss getting better. El Dorado hops have this tremendously soft character and this really pleasant candy like thing going on. I would NOT recommend that you do a traditional IPA with this hop unless you blend with some more traditionally dank tasting hops. If you are looking to replicate this beer...do it. You wont be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back