The "What's wrong with my" Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oteixeira

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I started some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein the last week of December. For about 3 weeks it has been crystal clear dark gold so I decided to go for the bottling. Now, this is the first thing I have had in a Carboy (always used the bucket fermenters up until now), so I bought an auto-siphon. So I attached my bottling tube and press down bottle wand to it, and prime it. It released a bunch of air into the carboy because I guess I needed to not have the end blocked off (with the wand). At that point the whole thing was mixed up again, and I must tell you, let off a stench of rotten apples and alchol. I couldn't even bring myself to sip the little bit in my siphon it was so bad. So, is this a smell from the yeast, or am I looking at a bad batch? I purchased no sugar added organic no preservative apple juice. I just put the airlock back on and will let it settle back out now. Can anyone give me a how too on an auto-siphon?

Orlando

Hey everyone,

So I started some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein the last week of December. For about 3 weeks it has been crystal clear dark gold so I decided to go for the bottling. Now, this is the first thing I have had in a Carboy (always used the bucket fermenters up until now), so I bought an auto-siphon. So I attached my bottling tube and press down bottle wand to it, and prime it. It released a bunch of air into the carboy because I guess I needed to not have the end blocked off (with the wand). At that point the whole thing was mixed up again, and I must tell you, let off a stench of rotten apples and alchol. I couldn't even bring myself to sip the little bit in my siphon it was so bad. So, is this a smell from the yeast, or am I looking at a bad batch? I purchased no sugar added organic no preservative apple juice. I just put the airlock back on and will let it settle back out now. Can anyone give me a how too on an auto-siphon?
Orlando

Sanitize the unit aaaaaand...
push the inner section down to the bottom of the outer tube, install your tubing on the top end of the inner tube.
stick the end of the unit into the wine (careful not to stir up sediment) and stick the end of the tube into your racking bucket. set it on a platform a foot lower than the carboy. PULL the inner tube up through the outer tube about half way, this should get your siphon going - then slowly and carefully push it back down to the end of the tube. use a racking clip to secure the tube to the lip of the carboy to keep it just out of the sediment. neer the end it may help to use a small wooden wedgie to put the carboy on a slight slant to keep the siphon from starving. just be careful not to suck up any of that sediment.

Back