Supplies in calgary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosnowsk8er

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you are from calgary as i'm brand new to the site, and to homebrewing actually, but never the less, anyone know of a good supplies store in calgary for the home brewer? or even a good west coast online store?

also what about corny kegs in calgary....anyone?

cheers
:mug:

I am not too sure about stores in Calgary, but there are not any good online stores in Canada.

I have been pretty happy though with purchases from morebeer.com They ship to canada via usps and with the strength of the canadian dollar right now, there are some deals to be had.

For the corny kegs put an ad on www.kijiji.ca and say your looking for soda kegs. There are always a few people out there looking to unload a few.

The best thing to do for homebrew shops is check the phonebook. Down in Halifax here we have about 5 or so homebrew shops in town and it seems like thousands of wine places. So I imagine Calgary would have a whole bunch. Just my phiosophy is dont order online - go support your local shop - save on shipping charges and they are always there if you need them.

Cheers.

Hey

I go to the Vineyard near Chinook mall frequently. They have a great selection of beer brewing supplies (probably the only place in the city you can get liquid yeasts, hops and grains), though the owners can be a bit crotchety at times.

I think they may sell some kegging stuff too.

Oh, and if your going online I recommend HopDawgs.ca. I order from them when the Vineyard does not have the ingredients I need in stock. Chris is a standup guy!

Hopdawgs is a wicked site, great service, great products and their Bag O Beers (All-Grain) are great too. Calgary has a few locatiotions that have great products like wyeast and grains, hops, etc.

For the corny kegs put an ad on www.kijiji.ca and say your looking for soda kegs. There are always a few people out there looking to unload a few.

The best thing to do for homebrew shops is check the phonebook. Down in Halifax here we have about 5 or so homebrew shops in town and it seems like thousands of wine places. So I imagine Calgary would have a whole bunch. Just my phiosophy is dont order online - go support your local shop - save on shipping charges and they are always there if you need them.

Cheers.

Either here

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...k-Coke-Pepsi-Beer-Homebrew-W0QQAdIdZ368650906 or www.craftbrewing.com has a bunch still.

+1 for HopDawgs, absolutely love the customer service.

I heard that homebrew-supplies.ca was opening a physical location in Calgary.

If you come up to Edmonton, Winning Wines Plus (Southside) is a great stop

So I'm making the move to Calgary in a few weeks, and once I find a place to plant myself permanently I'm going to head out to buy some all-grain ingredients to brew my growing list of beers I want to try. This is the most "up to date" thread about LHBS in Calgary, and it's 3 years old.

Any changes? Better stores? Where is everyone buying their stuff in Calgary?

So I'm making the move to Calgary in a few weeks, and once I find a place to plant myself permanently I'm going to head out to buy some all-grain ingredients to brew my growing list of beers I want to try. This is the most "up to date" thread about LHBS in Calgary, and it's 3 years old.

Any changes? Better stores? Where is everyone buying their stuff in Calgary?

Most stores in Calgary are wine-focused with a section for beer, but Grapes to Glass is a solid store for grain, hops and yeast. The Vineyard as mentioned up above also has a good amount and variety of supplies. Wine Kitz and The Wine Warehouse are more kit focused but tend to have different stuff in stock from other places. If you're interested in bulk grain and are patient, Craft Brewing is a home-run operation that periodically makes bulk purchases from a malter and will sell 55 lb bags (tough to beat 60c a lb for 2-row!).

Thumbs up to vineyard. Bought grain from them...

I've also been happy with ontariobeerkegs.com. Bought all of my gear and some kits from them. Great success.

Hey

I go to the Vineyard near Chinook mall frequently. They have a great selection of beer brewing supplies (probably the only place in the city you can get liquid yeasts, hops and grains), though the owners can be a bit crotchety at times.

I think they may sell some kegging stuff too.

Oh, and if your going online I recommend HopDawgs.ca. I order from them when the Vineyard does not have the ingredients I need in stock. Chris is a standup guy!

Old post, I know - but I just moved to Calgary from Winnipeg. Finally got my brewing supplies unpacked and decided to go to the Vineyard to get my ingredients.

First off - their hop selection was limited. Had to do substitutions for everything.

Second - when it came to getting grain, I looked around the store and they only have "prepacked" bags of grain. I noticed a grain room in the back so I asked if I just go back and get my own, and I was promptly SNAPPED at by the woman as if I had just asked to eat her first born child. I was told I should "call ahead" to order large orders of grain (I wanted 4KG of pale malt, that's all!) but TODAY they would make an exception and she got me the bag.

I paid what seemed to be a larger amount than expected - it was an hour later when I realized that she double-charged me for the grain - two different prices, but both reflected in the total!

Not happy at all with that place! I'm hoping Grape to Glass will be a nicer experience.

I'm in Calgary.

like others have said, the two best shops I've found are Vineyard and Grapes to Glass.

There is someone who posts on Kijiji selling corny kegs for $40 every once in a while. I think I'm up to 12 or so now :p

Back