Secondary Fementer for Vacation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cenla

Reaction score
I have some questions for youse guys.

I brewed my first batch ever this past Thursday. I have a carboy but I'm thinking, this being my first batch ever, that I don't want to mess up. I'm thinking of leaving the brew in my primary fementer until bottling time.

However... the family's going on vacation in a week and a half. That's 17 days into fermentation. We'll be gone for five or six days, so it'll be in the fermenter for 22-23 days total before I can bottle.

My primary fermenter is the standard plastic bucket everybody seems to have. I've read that autolysis is a concern, as well as oxidation. What's your take? Siphon it to the carboy at the 7 day mark or so, or let it sit in the fermenter the entire time?

honestly it doesnt matter either way, leaving it in primary will be absolutely fine, as will racking to secondary, as long as you have good sanitation technique.

Since many of us leave our beers in primary for a month because we have found that our beers improve by doing that, leaving your beers alone while you vacation will be no problem.

You'll be fine leaving it in primary for that long. When you get back, go ahead and rack it. How'd the first batch go?

Back