Gravity on First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
So I brewed on Saturday 9/26 with an OG of 1056. I check it today 10/1 with a Gravity of 1020. Is this proceeding as normal?

You better dump that ASAP. Just kidding, sounds like fermentation is in progress.

I used Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II. A friend of mine helped me with this. As soon as I get this one kegged I'm starting a Dunkel.

i made a beer recently, and it was eexpected to start around 1.05 and finish around 1.02. well it started off at 1.051, but it finished at 1.011!! is this normal?

i made a beer recently, and it was eexpected to start around 1.05 and finish around 1.02. well it started off at 1.051, but it finished at 1.011!! is this normal?

depends on the yeast, temps, conditions, etc. but yes, 1.011 is VERY normal for Notty in my brewhouse. My recent batches have been using S-04 and it finishes much higher... 1.016 to 1.020, (depending on my mash temps as well... but that is another story!)

I have a batch 8 days into healthy fermentation. However, my first gravity sample looks odd. It shows a 1.010. This is a fairly big beer. I can post the recipe if that would help.

I did have a blow out on day 3 however, it blew the air lock and stopper off and was open for a couple of hours (I am using a carboy).

Any thoughts on how I got such a low gravity reading this soon into fermentation?

I tasted the brew, and it was nice, but I was hoping for more maltiness and ABV. Plenty of hoppiness though. What should I do, if anything?

I sorta fear bottling this early (on day 9)
Just in case, here's the recipe:

Grain
12lbs. 2 row
1lb. crystal 20
0.5 crystal 40
0.5 crystal 60
0.5 crystal 80

Hops
1.75 oz. Simcoe (60 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (30 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (10 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (Flameout)

Yeast
US-Safale 05

Mash at 152 for 60 min. Sparge. Boil for 60 min.
OG: 1.074 (I totally forgot to get a gravity reading. I was too busy having a homebrew!)

It has been in the primary for 9 days. Anyone got any more thoughts on this? I don't want to bottle too early and have bottle bombs going off everywhere. But the FG as of last night is 1.010 which seems really low for this recipe. It should have been 1.017 after 14 days.

Help! Thanks!

You simply are getting very good attenuation from your yeast. Tons of things can make that happen. As a result you could certainly bottle earlier than you had expected. However, if you're in no rush, that beer is just going to get better as it sits in primary. The yeast is done fermenting, but its not done "cleaning up" after itself. Being that I brew every weekend, I'd let it sit. Since this is your third post, and ergo one of your first batches...bottle that baby if you want!

Latest posts

Back