Ring Around the Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley-Davidson

Reaction score
Easy cleaning tip - soak your primary before cleaning.

Today I racked a batch to secondary before work, and I timed it poorly and didn't have time to clean the primary bucket like I normally would. Not wanting to deal with a crusty mess later, I filled the bucket past the krausen line with water. When I cleaned it tonight it was the easiest cleanup ever!!! The soaking softened up the gunk to the point where it practically fell off.

In retrospect it's pretty obvious, but I was scrubbing right after racking - until now.

Excellent idea and thanks for posting that.

I have done similar with glass carboys. Can't clean them right away or just can't seem to get them clean with the brush, I fill them with water and leave them outside in the sun for a few days and then pretty much am able to rinse them out in a day or two.

I simply dump a scoop of oxy-clean in them, and then fill them up with water. I have yet to run into any krausen scum that can withstand Oxy-Clean.

Back