Hopping a Brett B Belgian dIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I had the luxury of trying a bottle of Bitter Monk from Anchorage this past fall and thought it was a magnificent brew. For those that haven't had it, it is a Belgian dIPA brewed with Simcoe/Citra and secondary fermented with Brett B. Off the top of my head I believe it is 1.080 with 80-90 IBU.

I was thinking of a Pilsener base malt with a little munich and a little light crystal. I'm not going for a clone here, just looking to make a similar beer. Only thing is, I have no idea how to hop a beer like this that is going to sit 6-8 months before consumption. What kind of hopping schedule should I follow? Something like 90, 30, 20/15? Are 15,10,5,0 minute additions worth it or are they going to age out? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I will be dry hopping this when it is sufficiently aged out.

Don't know what you have for grains on hand but I'd go with Pale Ale Malt and a dash of Medium Crystal (~6oz/5gal @ 45-60L). Though I see no problem with your choice, just my prefrence.

Expecting 6-8 months of aging I would up all of my target hop quantities by 25% -30%.

Personally I never get much out of 10/5/0 additions and don't typically use them.

I do get good results flavor wise from Mash Hopping and FWH though neither contributes much bitterness.

I'm a Crystal 10/Caravienne guy when it comes to IPA's if I use any at all.

I did write Gabe over at Anchorage and he got back to me and said he likes to do 90,30,15,0 minute additions and a healthy dry hop pre bottling. He also said he gets the majority of his bitterness from the 30 and 15 minute additions. Essentially it's hop bursting designed for aging.

I will post my finalized recipe when I get around to brewing it, hopefully in the next month.

I'm a Crystal 10/Caravienne guy when it comes to IPA's if I use any at all.

I did write Gabe over at Anchorage and he got back to me and said he likes to do 90,30,15,0 minute additions and a healthy dry hop pre bottling. He also said he gets the majority of his bitterness from the 30 and 15 minute additions. Essentially it's hop bursting designed for aging.

I will post my finalized recipe when I get around to brewing it, hopefully in the next month.

i agree 100% - i lightly hop most of my beers at 60 or earlier and hop burst from 30 to 0 (mostly from 30 to 10) - makes for enormous hop aroma early on which dissipates over time and settles into a nicely hopped beer without being too back of the mouth bitter... i also like long dry hops, especially for beers that will be drank/drink/drunk at a more mature age. i think it's a different bitterness - long boil, long addition hop schedules tend to make things taste more acrid than bitter to me. imo you can not over hop an IPA if it's done correctly. my barleywine is 130+ and could use support more hops, but that had a very aggressive late hop addition.

aroma is hard to carry over in aged beers and blasting my brew between 30 and 10 seems to work out very well.

I brewed on Sunday and the recipe was as follows:

90% Pilsener
6% Munich 9L
4% Caravienne
1 oz Simcoe 90 mins
1 oz Simcoe 30 mins
3 oz Citra 20 mins
1.5 oz Simcoe 15 mins
1.0 oz Simcoe/0.5 oz Citra 0 mins
3 oz Citra Dry Hop (will dry hop after gravity is stable)
WLP550
Brett B (will be pitched in secondary)

OG = 1.076
Mashed @150 for 60 mins.

I love that beer. Your recipe looks great, I love the Ardennes yeast for BIPAs. I await the results.
What was your IBU?

Nanitebrewing said:
What was your IBU?

It was about a "calculated" 140 IBU. I say "calculated" because I've done enough hop bursting in IPA's to know that the bitterness doesn't really get that high or that its perception is softened. The Citra was about 12%AA and the Simcoe was about 11%AA. These were all whole cones.

I had the luxury of trying a bottle of Bitter Monk from Anchorage this past fall and thought it was a magnificent brew. For those that haven't had it, it is a Belgian dIPA brewed with Simcoe/Citra and secondary fermented with Brett B. Off the top of my head I believe it is 1.080 with 80-90 IBU.

I was thinking of a Pilsener base malt with a little munich and a little light crystal. I'm not going for a clone here, just looking to make a similar beer. Only thing is, I have no idea how to hop a beer like this that is going to sit 6-8 months before consumption. What kind of hopping schedule should I follow? Something like 90, 30, 20/15? Are 15,10,5,0 minute additions worth it or are they going to age out? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I will be dry hopping this when it is sufficiently aged out.

How'd this beer turn out?

Back