? About Orange Peel and Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Tonight I'm doing a partial mash AHB Agave Wit Kit. What is the best way to crack the coriander. Also, do I just throw those things in the kettle and strain afterwards or do I put them in the hops bag along with the pellet hops?

Thanks

I tossed some into a secondary on a Saison I did and got some great citrus flavor out of them. I just cracked them with the back of a spoon in a ziploc bag

Orange peel went into the same saison in the same way, I used bitter orange peel and probably would try a sweeter orange peel next time.

Hello everyone. Tonight I'm doing a partial mash AHB Agave Wit Kit. What is the best way to crack the coriander. Also, do I just throw those things in the kettle and strain afterwards or do I put them in the hops bag along with the pellet hops?

Thanks

I put them in my hop spider. So, I guess just throw them into your hop bag

Also, I put them in a baggie and crush mine with a rolling pin. About 30 seconds and they are done. Don't put too many in there, you basically want a single layer of seeds when you roll them.

I use a mortar and pestle to crack the coriander. I use a hop sock so they don't get thrown around in the pump. I like to just crack the seeds, not grind into a powder. However, I don't see anything wrong with pulsing them in a coffee grinder a half second at a time if you don't have a mortar and pestle. Just my opinion.

TB

Yeah I brain farted in my last brew and threw the orange peel direct into the kettle. It clogged my pump and the spout when I was trying to empty it into the fermenter.

brewsme said:
Glad you asked this question. I'm planning on ordering this same brew in a month. Let me know how it turns out. :mug:

I sure will. Plan on leaving in the primary for about a month.

A mortar and pestle takes forever on coriander (if you want it finely ground). If you plan on adding them late in the boil, don't start grinding too late. Granted, I would still do it again over a coffee grinder...

BrewThruYou said:
A mortar and pestle takes forever on coriander.

What? No it doesn't.

Put an ounce or so of seeds in the mortar, push down with the pestle and do a stirring motion for about 10 seconds. That's all it takes to crack the seeds and release the essence.

Because I bought a mortar and pestle for grinding brewing spices... :D I take the easy way out a lot, but I like doing some stuff the old fashioned way like grinding the spices, using fresh peels instead of packaged dried stuff and using vanilla beans over flavorings.

What? No it doesn't.

Put an ounce or so of seeds in the mortar, push down with the pestle and do a stirring motion for about 10 seconds. That's all it takes to crack the seeds and release the essence.

I edited it to say if you want it finely ground. Of course it only takes a few seconds if you want to take the easy way out and just crack the seeds.

BrewThruYou said:
I said it you want it finely ground. Of course it only takes a few seconds if just cracking the seeds.

You didn't say that originally; you edited your post to add that.

Curious, why do you want to finely grind your coriander?

BrewThruYou said:
I edited it to say if you want it finely ground. Of course it only takes a few seconds if you want to take the easy way out and just crack the seeds.

Ok, you need to proof read or something, because you keep editing your posts after people reply! :D

What do you mean "easy way out"?

I just crack the seeds. Same type of milling we do with our grain.

I've always wanted a mortar and pestle. I've asked for one several times as a gift idea; I don't think my wife takes those types of gifts seriously. Just gonna have to gift myself one day.

I use a small clay mixing bowl and a small tasting glass I got from a St. Arnolds visit. Probably not the safest/most efficient way, but what the hell, it worked last time.

Plus I don't have fancy things like a mortar/pestle, coffee grinder, or a rolling pin.

passedpawn said:
I just crack the seeds. Same type of milling we do with our grain.

I've always wanted a mortar and pestle. I've asked for one several times as a gift idea; I don't think my wife takes those types of gifts seriously. Just gonna have to gift myself one day.

It's also nice for crushing peanuts when making Pad Thai. Wife took my hints a couple years ago, and it was under the tree soon after. :)

Latest posts

Back