Can you do anything about oxygen in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
So yesterday I needed to move a carboy of Belgian Golden Strong ale that has been fermening for about four weeks and I slipped and dropped it. Nothing broke but the ale made a big splash, which leaves me worried that I gave it a big dose of oxygen to a batch I'm hoping to let age.

Is there anything I can do, besides drink it quickly once its matured? Would an addition of fresh yeast and sugar eat up the oxygen?

Was the carboy sealed, at least with an air lock? I'd be surprised if this one event causes you any noticeable problems. Always be careful when racking and moving the beer and you will be fine.

A agree with airborne. That thing had to have a head of pure CO2 over it, after fermenting for 5 weeks. No worries, just be stoked you didn't have a broken carboy and a huge mess/possible injury on your hands!

Just get you one of those vacume cleaners like they had in the movie Space Balls and suck the oxygen out :D

Seriously though, it'll be fine. No worries.

There was an airlock on it but I wasn't sure how much co2 would be there since I primaried it in a bucket for a week before racking it to the carboy. Then again, I had to refill the airlock. Since I fill them with vodka, evaporation usually means that there's been a good amount of bubbling.

Thanks, I'm feeling better now.

Back