Pitch starter at high krausen or cold crash and decant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
The title says it all, numerous threads discuss both, but has anyone done - or knows of a link to - a more scientific study or test of these two methods?

My understanding is "Pitch the whole starter at high krausen" because the yeast is most active and vigorous fermentation will thus commence without the usual lag time.

"Cold crash and decant" to produce the highest number of yeast cells, and avoid adding the fermented starter wort that may give off flavors.

Do I have this correct, and is one way really better than the other?

Thanks,
John

The title says it all, numerous threads discuss both, but has anyone done - or knows of a link to - a more scientific study or test of these two methods?

My understanding is "Pitch the whole starter at high krausen" because the yeast is most active and vigorous fermentation will thus commence without the usual lag time.

"Cold crash and decant" to produce the highest number of yeast cells, and avoid adding the fermented starter wort that may give off flavors.

Do I have this correct, and is one way really better than the other?

Thanks,
John

I can say that I have done both... as long as my wort and starter are around the temp, I usually see ferm results in less than 24 hours.

My reasons for both... I have a few different fermenters and depending on batch size and starter size will depend if I decant or not.

For instance, I made a Dunkel and Mr. Malty told me to make a 6L starter... so in this case I went ahead and cold crashed to reduce the volume added to my fermenter. Otherwise if its a 1L starter I try to pitch at high krausen or shortly after...

I've always figured that if I was lucky enough to get a start at high krausen at the time I was ready to pitch it, then I wouldn't waste a golden opportunity. Pitch the puppy and watch it take off.

Very cool, brewing a partial mash Pliny the Elder clone today, starter is at high krausen, WPL001 in a 3L starter, that yeast is sure chunky! First use of my 6 gal Better Bottles so I can watch it go; according to the White Labs site this yeast is best at 68-73 degrees, perfect for winter guest bathroom fermentation :)

I've always figured that if I was lucky enough to get a start at high krausen at the time I was ready to pitch it, then I wouldn't waste a golden opportunity. Pitch the puppy and watch it take off.

It did, blow-off tube was bubbling in 90 minutes, fastest I have ever had. This morning, woke up to much green hoppy foam in the catch jar. I will never pitch a vial or packet again, Hail to the Starter Gods!

It did, blow-off tube was bubbling in 90 minutes, fastest I have ever had. This morning, woke up to much green hoppy foam in the catch jar. I will never pitch a vial or packet again, Hail to the Starter Gods!

right on man!! starters also make sure your yeast is viable... a must IMO!

Back