Smells in my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryznic

Reaction score
My primary fermenter, a plastic ale pale has some smells. At first it smell faintly of beer. I have only done one batch in it, and that was for 7 or 8 days tops. Then I put 5 gals of water and 5 tablespoons of bleach in it for a few days. Then it smelled of beer and soap.

And to top it off I filled it up with 5 gals of water and star san and it sat for 3 days about. Now it really smells. I didn't know I shouldn't leave plastics in star san for long periods of time, my plastic tube is also hazy now.

So do I have to worry about these smells? Will they transfer to my beers? I mean I only brewed one batch and it already had a lingering smell. I dunno what to do now, I hope I didn't ruin the bucket. How do you keep your primary odor free? Or does it matter?

Should I switch to glass carboys as my primary? I found 2 5 gallon glass carboys in my grandpop's basement so thats cool at least.

Thanks.

-Chris

Same problem with my plastic tubing. Smells god-awful. I thought that just 'happens' and I have quit trying to get it out. Will maybe buy some more on my next big order.

Personally I have never had the smell transfer to taste. I regularly make wine and beer from the same fermenter and have never had a problem.

After each batch I mix up some Oxiclean and water and let it sit over night. Most of the smell is gone after that, but once it sits empty for a few days, the smell seems to return to at least some level. But again, I have been doing it this way for a couple of years, and never noticed an off-flavor to anything.

After I transfer my beer from the bucket, I rinse it out with really hot water while scrubbing with a soft sponge. I truly think chemicals are NOT needed and you're just causing more problems by using them.
If it smells really gross, try a baking soda and water solution. If it smells like beer, then you DON'T have a problem!!!

I have had the same discolor with my tubing when I leave it took long in star stan, but have never had a smell before. I imagine that if there isnt any left over material from your other batches that you should be good.

Starsan (the iodine type) will discolor the bucket and some tubing, but the oxyclean soak will clean it right up, in my experience anyway.

Then I put 5 gals of water and 5 tablespoons of bleach in it for a few days.
And to top it off I filled it up with 5 gals of water and star san and it sat for 3 days about. Now it really smells.

Before you use it again, let it dry out and sit in the sun for a couple of days. Has worked for me in the past on getting rid of odors.

Also, don't forget to rinse that bucket between going from the bleach solution to the StarSan. StarSan promotes the release of chlorine gas from chlorinated cleaners.

Back