15 Liter Starter and 2 Smack Packs for a LAGER?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I'm brewing 10.5 gallons of Munich Helles lager...WTF am I supposed to do, pitch 2 smack packs into a 3/4 full 5 gallon carboy? I don't have a stir plate

yeastlager.jpg

Yep, lagers need a big starter. What I like to do is make the starter, stepping it up as necessary. Then chill it for a few days, and decant the spent wort on brewday. Let it sit at room temperature while I'm finishing the boil, so that the yeast rises to about 45-48 degrees, then pitch it into 48-50 degree wort. Since those starters are so big, I like to decant the spent wort on lagers.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I have never followed Mr Malty. Just make a regular starter and then step it up to a gallon or so and call it a victory.

Yep, lagers need a big starter. What I like to do is make the starter, stepping it up as necessary. Then chill it for a few days, and decant the spent wort on brewday. Let it sit at room temperature while I'm finishing the boil, so that the yeast rises to about 45-48 degrees, then pitch it into 48-50 degree wort. Since those starters are so big, I like to decant the spent wort on lagers.

After the first step up, how do you estimate the number of cells you have? Looking at the calculator, I can turn a smack pack into 200B cells with a 2L starter. I need to end up with 700B. What is the process from moving my first completed starter with 200B cells into the "next starter" to ensure 700B?

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I have never followed Mr Malty. Just make a regular starter and then step it up to a gallon or so and call it a victory.

I guess this is the same question as above, but what exactly is "stepping up". If I make a 2L starter in a 1 gallon growler, do I wait for it to ferment, pour another 2L of wort into the growler, stir it up, and let that ferment out?

Latest posts

Back