Too late to transplant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohlk

Reaction score
I grew a few hop rhizomes last year in 5 gallon buckets using potting soil and they did great for 1st year plants. They were left outside all winter with the bines up. The bines were clipped down to the soil in late March. I have them all in the same soil as last year right now but want to give them more room and some new soil. My Cenntenial has put up two or three bines so far with the tallest being about 3 inches tall. My Nugget has just barely popped up. Cascade and Chinook haven't popped up yet. Question is, is it too late to transplant the Cenntenial and Nugget? I'd like to give the roots more room to grow and give them new soil. I have some composted cow manure and potting soil and would like to put them in the ground instead of using buckets. If I can move them should I remove last years soil from the roots and put them in the new soil or just put the roots with the old soil into the ground surrounded by new soil? I'm WAY lost here, any help is very much appreciated!

You've got plenty of time. Just dig a hole and transplant. The roots will grow beyond the old soil and find more goodies as they grow into the Earth. They know what to do. Have fun.

Will it effect my harvest much if I move them now but keep as much soil around the roots as possible? I should be able to move them with out disturbing the soil they are in very much. I plan on cutting the buckets away and trying to keep everything intact, i hope.

Yes it will effect your harvest. It will be better because they're second year hops. The soil doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. I wouldn't ruin a good bucket - just lay it down on it's side and roll it around a little. The crown will come loose and then just plop it in the ground and stand back. Remember, they know what to do, all you have to do is give them a nice home in the soil and something to climb on and you'll be a successful hop farmer!

Back