How to clean siphon tube, cane, spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howdo

Reaction score
Should I be cleaning the plastic parts (siphon tube, racking cane, plastic fermenter, bottling spigot) after each use? Right now I only rinse these parts with water. I use PBW for the carboy and the brew pot. Can/should I use PBW for the plastic parts too?

Thanks,

Howdo

I use oxyclean to clean my items. For example, when i rack from a carboy, I rinse it out and then fill it full of water and oxyxclean. i then run the oxyclean water through the autosiphon and tube until its clean. Then rinse out the carboy and fill with clean with water and run that water through the siphon and tube, too, to rinse them.

Sanitize using the same basic process with idophor.

I always soak my carboys in OxiClean or PBW. For the siphoning equipment, I give a very good rinse immediately after use, and a rinse and sanitize before use. I don't have a bottling spigot.

-a.

You can use something like 1Step or Straight A and give them a good soak and then rinse it out. Sanitize before using again.

i rinse my autosyphon immediately after use if sticky liquid went through like unfermented wort then a good soak in oxy clean, before use i stick it in my gallon jug of premixed starsan and put the end of the hose in the same jug and pump starsan through a few times..

Back