wow nasty smells.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
ok, so admittedly this could just be a wheat beer yeast thing from what i've read, but my dunkelweizen is stinking like crazy. I pitched Danstar Munich German Wheat Dry yeast. basically no air lock action on day 3 so i pulled the top, there was a minor krausen present. so as i put the lid back on i catch a ghastly whiff of nastiness.

the thing that makes me worry is that i brewed this beer (Arakdor's Dunkelweizen in the recipes forum) and had racked into the primary when i realized i didn't add the DME. So i dump it back into the pot, and back on the burner it goes. Heat it to almost boiling temp, add the DME (5 lbs rather than 4 since i'd already topped up with 3/4 gal water in the primary.) Stir in the DME, heat a few more min, chill, rack to primary, cool to around 70-75 sitting in the kitchen, then pitch.

any reason the re-heating or late addition would throw anything off. I don't think it should. but the stink made me wonder.

Latest posts

Back