which cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hey guys, well im in the process of converting my keg over for AG, and i was thinking about getting 2 more kegs for the whole shabang but im leaning towards getting a cooler for the mash tun. on amazon, i am looking at these two, which do you guys think? i was kind of leaning towards the rectangular, but then saw some threads about the colemans not holding heat?

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid #1610-01-11 10GAL Orange Water Cooler: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Coleman 50-Quart Wide Body Cooler (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i figured the extreme would based on the price, just not sure about the one i posted. thanks for the response! does anyone use one of the "cheaper" coleman coolers?

i cant believe walmart has the extreme for 35 bucks, its almost twice as much everywhere else

Check out a website for "CSP Outdoors"- just google it. I got my 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for 53, including shipping, and got it in 3 days time

The taller square coolers give a similar profile to the round coolers at about half the price. I have a white igloo that is square and it works great. If you buy something other than the extreme, squirt some expanding foam into the lid. Most cooler lids are not insulated and are only hollow plastic.

Linc

Home Depot is selling out their 10 Gallon Rubbermaid (says home depot on it) this week.

I had to call 4 home depots before I could find some, but they are out there and the price was $37.??, was like $40 after tax where I am. A lot better deal that Amazon with the shipping because it is from a 3rd party.

I have the exact cooler you posted-the coleman. I do 10 gallon batches and it works flawlessly, i may lose 2 degrees during the mash. I usually use about 24lbs of grain in my batches, and i have never filled it up all the way. Get some soft copper tubing for a sparge arm and a screen for the bottom and you are set.

alright i ended up getting the 52 qt coleman extreme cooler(no wheels), was $33 with tax at sears. i just finished my keggle conversion today and tested out my burner, everything worked great! now i just need to pick up another bulkhead and supplies for the cooler and then its to becoming a man and going AG!

1011081703_1-2.jpg

proper eye protection and desperate ear protection in the form of headphones when smoothing out the edges after cutting the top off the keg!

Yea, home depot 10 gallon coolers are $37 here. I picked up a Coleman Extreme 52 quart (or is it 62) for $40 a month ago.

Those coolers listed in the OPs post aren't worth it IMHO. I would go to WalMarts, Target stores, or Home Depot before I ordered one of those two.

Latest posts

Back