Question About Transporting Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving my fermenter which is filled with five gallons of beer today. The trip will be about forty five minutes long. Any tips o how to move the beer? Such as remove the airlock, don't remove the airlock, too much stress on the yeast from the turbulence?

Thanks

How long has it been fermenting? Is the yeast still active?

This could cause some problems, but I bet it can be done if you must.

Put some vodka in the air lock and cover the fermenter from light and avoid bumpy roads if at all possible, you'll be fine.
The yeast will settle back down in a few hours after transport.

As long as it's still in the primary, then there should be nothing but CO2 in there. If you can keep the airlock filled, then that's probably the best way to go. I would buckle it up in the front seat to keep it from moving around too much, and it will probably de-gas a lot of CO2 while moving around, so sealing it up tight would probably be a bad idea. Just let it set a while (a few days) after you get it moved and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back