PID tuning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swatman260

Reaction score
I've finally got my new two tier RIMS brew stand almost complete and I'm getting ready to start tuning the electronics. I'm using the Auber 4352 PID for controlling a 1500w element in the RIMS tube. My question (and I've tried searching for my answer already) is this...when I do the Auto-tune for the PID, I need to have a MT full of grain, right? I'm assuming that the heat response with just water in the system would be different than that of water/grain. I'm guessing that the lower temps used during the auto-tune wouldn't do much for the conversion process, so do you guys just use some cheap(er) grains for this process, or auto-tune and then mash normally, or what process seems to be the best?

I've finally got my new two tier RIMS brew stand almost complete and I'm getting ready to start tuning the electronics. I'm using the Auber 4352 PID for controlling a 1500w element in the RIMS tube. My question (and I've tried searching for my answer already) is this...when I do the Auto-tune for the PID, I need to have a MT full of grain, right? I'm assuming that the heat response with just water in the system would be different than that of water/grain. I'm guessing that the lower temps used during the auto-tune wouldn't do much for the conversion process, so do you guys just use some cheap(er) grains for this process, or auto-tune and then mash normally, or what process seems to be the best?

I auto-tuned with just water, and it works great on the mash. I think the main thing is to try to match the flow you'll get with the entire mash. I turned my valve down to approximate a typical mash flow, and did a "dry-run" with just water for the auto-tune.

Back