Beer aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon a stash on SN Bigfoot ale 2010. I picked up a six pack .... awesome. I want to age it for this coming winter. I bought it cold, and put it in the fridge ... should I leave it cold, or put it in the cellar to age? I know the temp differential isn't too bad, and going from hot to cold won't ruin a beer. But I am not sure how the beer will fare being cold for so long, to aging a cellar temps for months.

I'm not sure which would be more beneficial, leave it cold, or move it to age a cellar temps

I'd put it in the cellar. Wait until the 2011 variety comes out and drink one of each side by side. Put a 6er of 2011 in the cellar and repeat :)

It won't really age much if in the fridge. I don't think taking it out and puutting it downstairs will hurt. It's not like you're moving it around throughout the day.

Does anyone know any recipes using a combo of grain for steeping and malt extract to make a beer that is ideal for aging for years? I was thinking along the lines of barley wine or a braggot recipe I have with an ABV of 12%. Also looking for anyone who has alot of know how in how to age beer long term.

Back