Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pattatat

Reaction score
Hey guys. Newbie here.
I tried my first batch this afternoon. I have a kit with the liquid malt can of Irish Stout and a pack of dry yeast. Also bought 4 lbs of dark liquid malt extract. I am pretty sure I did everything correctly up until the yeast part.
I mixed the yeast into half a cup of 80 degree water, but only for a few minutes. Then, where I think I may have messed up, I dumped it into my full bucket that was about 98 degrees.
Did I kill it?
I do have another packet of yeast I picked up from the store if I need to add it some time...
Thanks

Give it up to 72 hours before worrying about your yeast.

You may have killed off some but yeast are stronger than most people think!

It is great that you have a second packet. but I would wait it out.

What kit and what yeast came with your kit?
If you do not see any sort of Krausen by Monday afternoon then ask again,
for instant help there is a chat feature.

-Jason

Hey guys. Newbie here.
I tried my first batch this afternoon. I have a kit with the liquid malt can of Irish Stout and a pack of dry yeast. Also bought 4 lbs of dark liquid malt extract. I am pretty sure I did everything correctly up until the yeast part.
I mixed the yeast into half a cup of 80 degree water, but only for a few minutes. Then, where I think I may have messed up, I dumped it into my full bucket that was about 98 degrees.
Did I kill it?
I do have another packet of yeast I picked up from the store if I need to add it some time...
Thanks

Take a deep breath now.

And, BTW welcome to the hobby and the forums.

The one thing that most of us learn is is that when beginning the hobby we pitched our yeast too warm. Or, we fermented it too warm.

That said, I do not THINK you killed your yeast. If I am right, you will be drinking your first beer in a number of weeks.

The opportunity you have now is to read about yeast and fermentation temps. Your second beer will be better than your first, mine was. And, each beer has gotten better with my learning curve.

Good luck and don't worry. You will make beer. Now your challenge is to improve on it. If you are a serious brewer, you will.

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Im really excited about getting into homebrewing, sticking with the kits for now. And apparently the yeast is still alive b/c its bubbling pretty good right now! Awesome
Im not sure what type yeast was included in the kit. It is a Mountmellick Malt Extract 'Famous Irish Style Stout.' The other packet of yeast the guy at the store gave me is 11.5g of dry ale yeast, which I may not need now?..

Back