Help With Re-pitching Harvested Yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoronBrothersBrewery

Reaction score
So this is my first time using harvested yeast and I needed some help. Bewing a Kolsch (OG 1.052) an the Mr. Malty "Repitch From Slurry" tab says 200 billion cells needed / 156 ml slurry needed. So does this mean pitch the 156 ml slurry right into the fermentor (5 gallons)? Or sould I pitch into a starter, and if so, how much of that slurry into how much of a starter? I'm confused, help please!

I always put the slurry into a starter to help it get going again. Unless you have a microscope and can count yeast cells, you'll have to estimate the viability and from that, the amount of slurry. mrmalty allows you to set the harvest date. That will change the viability % and from that, the ml of slurry will change. The number of cells will not change. I calculate the starter size using the liquid yeast tab and my estimated viability - to get to the number of cells needed (200 billion in this case).

if its going directly into the next batch, you can just scoop out a cup and pitch that. if you're using washed/stored yeast, id make a starter

OK, so take the viability from the harvest date (my case is 59%) and apply that to the "liquid yeast" tab. The "liquid yeast" says for 59% viability yeast, use 1 vial into a 2.19 L starter. Now a White Labs vial contains about 35 ml. Should I just estimate 35 ml of slurry and throw that into the starter?

I think you're over thinking this.

When I wash yeast, I split one used batch worth into 3 pint mason jars. Store in the fridge. When ready, I make a starter and put the whole pint jar into the starter wort and let it go.

When it's about time to pitch, I turn off the stir plate, let it settle, decant the top liquid, pitch the healthy yeast and leave the trub.

Easy as pie!

I think you're over thinking this.

When I wash yeast, I split one used batch worth into 3 pint mason jars. Store in the fridge. When ready, I make a starter and put the whole pint jar into the starter wort and let it go.

When it's about time to pitch, I turn off the stir plate, let it settle, decant the top liquid, pitch the healthy yeast and leave the trub.

Easy as pie!

How big of a starter?

Depends on the beer...

1.050? 1L
1.080? 2L

Is it the perfect way of doing things? Probably not, but I also don't have the patience to count yeast in a microscope. ;)

Back