Best Beer thief???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezman1

Reaction score
The only part of my deluxe brewing kit from Northern Brewer I don't like is the 3 piece plastic thief. It dribbles beer.

So, what is the best thing out there? I saw a glass one that looks good, but with a glass carboy I'm just going to assume it will eventually break during sampling. Maybe the fermtech wine thief?

I'm just about ready to bottle my first beer, NB's Irish Red. OG 1.04, and is now sitting at 1.012.
Pez.

I don't understand this gadget. I've never wanted, or needed one. I sanitize a cheap turkey baster and pull some beer out. It drips a bit, but I'm sure anything will. That's why I have my glass handy so I can put the beer in it before it starts dripping.

I don't understand this gadget. I've never wanted, or needed one. I sanitize a cheap turkey baster and pull some beer out. It drips a bit, but I'm sure anything will. That's why I have my glass handy so I can put the beer in it before it starts dripping.

+1. My method as well, and it works great. You get some dribbles, but nothing that would cause oxidation.

a well sanitized Turky baster works great and costs alot less.

with a refractometer, I use a pipette and it takes me 2-3 drops

If it dribbles too much, it might be that something is blocking the tip from closing all the way. Pieces of hop/trub can easily get stuck. *If* there is something stuck, then it is going to be a paradise for bacteria, and you easily transfer infections from batch to batch... Other than that, yeah mine drips a bit too, but I still love it.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try the fermtech thief. It just doesn't look to me like a turkey baster will reach into my glass carboy neck deep enough to get much in the way of a sample.

I'll keep my eye on the fit problems that ODaniel posted on. I could just use the thief to transfer to my plastic test jar.
Pez.

I never did any testing, but I think I will soon. I'm sure it's fine, but it just barely drops in there. It would be good for a carboy regardless though. It's made to fit in the neck.

I have it but I only used it a few times. I felt like I wasn't getting accurate readings because it's such a tight fit for the hydrometer. I've just been putting the hydrometer in the bucket itself. I'd like to get a refractometer.

I don't do the hydrometer readings right in the thief, I transfer from the thief to my test tube. The thief just makes it easier to get out of the carboy/better bottle.
Dave

Turkey baster works great if you use a bucket... not as great with a glass carboy or demi. Mine doesn't even come close to getting far enough into the carboy.

Turkey baster works great if you use a bucket... not as great with a glass carboy or demi. Mine doesn't even come close to getting far enough into the carboy.

To solve this problem I stuck a 10" piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing on the end of the turkey baster. Even with a 5.5g batch in a 6.5g carboy, this will reach far enough down to pull a sample. Also, this allows you to get the sample at an angle which is great if you have your carboy in a fridge/chamber with little vertical space. It saves me from having to pull my carboys out of the fermentation chamber.

To solve this problem I stuck a 10" piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing on the end of the turkey baster. Even with a 5.5g batch in a 6.5g carboy, this will reach far enough down to pull a sample. Also, this allows you to get the sample at an angle which is great if you have your carboy in a fridge/chamber with little vertical space. It saves me from having to pull my carboys out of the fermentation chamber.

I use a 3+ foot length of my idle transfer tubing. When I pull a sample, I make a u-shaped trap (like a sink drain). Just pull the tubing from the wort and let the loose end drain briefly; the sample stays in the trap. No muss, no fuss.

I love my 3-piece wine thief. It was cheap and since it comes apart into 3 pieces it's easy to stick in the dishwasher and get really clean after each use.

OP: I use this one and love it because you can drop your hydrometer right in.
Brewcat.com Homebrew Supplies: Fermtech Thief

I had the same problem with the 3 piece and hated it. Now I have the Fermtech and it works great but it seems like the hydrometer sticks on the sides sometimes so I've started putting the sample into the tube that came with the Northern Brewer Kit and that works well until I talk myself into a refractometer.

Latest posts

Back