Stainless Vs Aluminium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DShoaf

Reaction score
Currently I have a 40 Qt. Stainless Steel Stock Pot for my boil. I am looking to do 10 gallon batches. I am thinking about converting a Keg to a keggle, but there is pretty good deals on Aluminium pots out there. So I was hoping to get the pro's and con's of Steel and Aluminium. Whats the big difference?
:confused:

You can beat a keggle around the head with an iron bar and it will still be a keggle.....If you are the gentle kind, then no real difference apart from that you can sometimes get a keg really cheap. Aluminium pots, not so much.

I kind of like the heat transfer benefits of aluminum, but then again, I like the fact that you can beat the stainless like a red headed stepchild??? If you prefer aluminum. then go that way.

I just checked my pot and it's Stainless Aluminium Stainless sandwich on bottom. Why? I am not exactly sure, but I can tell you that I am going to ask my chemistry proffessor tomorrow and get some conclusive answers about what the benefits would be? I get the durability factor, but lets be honest is it really a factor. I am not playing tackle football with my brew pot, I am just brewing delicious beer. I have a feeling the melting points of these metal or alloys has something to do with it. Aluminium has a drastically lower melting point which leads me to thinking it may heat quicker or take initial heat faster than steel. I don't know I am just rambling at this point. Will get back with conclusive evidence from the Prof.

There was a photo kicking around here a while ago of a guy who was stovetopping a keggle...funny as hell to me! If I recall, he was supplementing w/ a heatsick.

Latest posts

Back