Storing Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I picked up some ingredients from my LHBS and they crushed my grains for me and put it in a steeping bag. I put the grains in a sealed zip-loc bag and left the extract in the plastic bucket sealed, both are sitting in my pantry. The yeast and hops went straight into the fridge. How long will the ingredients stay good (mostly the grains) until I can brew?

Brett3rThanU said:
Should I move them to the fridge?
Yes. Its important to keep moisture out of them, so use a freezer ziplock bag - not the normal kind.

I once kept 10# of crushed grains in my freezer for 6 weeks. They were in a heavy duty vacuum sealed bag and they kept just fine. I wouldn't recommend this as a best practice, but it did turn out ok for me.

Uh oh. I've had my grains in the pantry for over a week. The guy at AHS told me that they would be fine for about two weeks and after that they may go a little stale but not too bad. But if grains don't last as long as claimed then you would think that every time you order grains or a kit from anywhere online your grains would pretty much be bad by the time you get them (if they only last a few days)? Not saying anyone's wrong but i just thought of that.

mullimat said:
Uh oh. I've had my grains in the pantry for over a week. The guy at AHS told me that they would be fine for about two weeks and after that they may go a little stale but not too bad. But if grains don't last as long as claimed then you would think that every time you order grains or a kit from anywhere online your grains would pretty much be bad by the time you get them (if they only last a few days)? Not saying anyone's wrong but i just thought of that.

You have a point. Taste some. If they are stale, you'll know it.

Well, the grains for that batch are getting brewed this weekend (got the kit about two and a half weeks ago) so we'll see how it turns out. It's a chocolate raspberry stout so i'm really excited to try it!

mullimat said:

I guess I am thinking more from where I am geographcically. In San Antonio, you're probably just fine for a couple weeks. In Houston, not so much.

TL

Well there goes that pound of chocolate malt ive been brown bagging in my closet for a couple of weeks. I hope dumpster divers like unfermented grains!

Back