papazian palace bitter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papatoe

Reaction score
Greetings

Just finished Papazian's Palace Bitter recipe for the second time and am still have really low SG (1.022)

I tried to convert it to an ESB, here is my rendition;

5.5 pounds light DME
3/4 lb Crystal 40L
3/4oz fuggles 60min
1 oz golding 60min
1/2 oz fuggles 30min
1/2 oz golding 30min
1/2 oz fuggles 15min
1/2 golding 15min
1/2 fuggles 2min

Recipe states to steep crystal malt for 30min in 1.5 gallons of water for 30 min then add malt, boil, and add hops. After a 60 min boil I am left with very little wort and it looks to be "caramelized". The bottom of my pan is a little scorched too. I feel like there isn't near enough water in the kettle at the start for the amount of malt added.

Any help is appreciated, I want to brew this again and actually hit around my target OG 1.048 (according to pro mash)

I think the reason you appeared to get such a low OG was that you didn't mix the top off water well enough with the boiled wort. Either that, or you topped off to about 10g.
It's been so long since I made an extract batch, that I can't remember how much water you need, but you could certainly add more water for the boil (if you have the capacity in your kettle) to reduce the caramelization.

-a.

Should I take another gravity reading? I pitched the yeast about 45 minutes ago?

I wouldn't bother. With an extract brew, you will get the correct OG, and messing around with it adds a slight chance of getting an infection. If you really feel that you must, then give it a really good stir with a sanitized stirrer before taking the sample.

Sorry, I didn't notice your post count.

Welcome to the forum.

-a.

Back