General Heatshield Location around Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley03

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to ask a general question about burner heatshields. I am currently incorporating some heatshields around two jet burners on my single tier stand and was looking for information on placement of the heatshields.

Meaning how much space do you have between the heatshields and burners? and also how high do you have the shields with relationship to the kettles?

My current plan is to have 1 1/2 inchs between the wall of the heatshield and burner and the height of the heatshield is appx. 2 inches from bottom of kettle.

Anyway let me know your general dimensions. Thanks

You have to be really careful not to choke off the air going to that burner. I wouldn't let the wind guard extend much lower than the cast ring portion. I'm thinking something like a 4" tall ring at most. If you want it taller, give it a lot more clearance, like a 14" diameter ring.

Currently I have one heatshield built and ready to put on. It measures about 13 inches in diameter and is about 6 inches high. Once it is installed it will be about 1 inch below the cast iron part of the burner.

I think I will give this a test and if it does not work I can always trim it down to 4 inches. I do not have any problems with wind getting to the burner I just want to keep the surrounding components cooler.

I wanted to run it past the forum to see what other people have done with regards to heatshields.
:mug:
thanks again

I attached a piece of stainless steel sheet around the base of my hurricane burner that is 18" high x 48" long. The stand is only 11" high, and the pot sits down a bit so the shield goes 9" or so up the side of the pot. The distance to the side of the pot is something like 1.5". As long as you leave the part where the air intake/propane line is uncovered and the burner isn't sitting directly on a table/the ground (my sits up on cinder blocks)you shouldn't have to worry about air flow. I like the fact that my shield goes up the side of the pot since it really does a nice job of directing the heat around the pot so that it isn't lost. Watch out though, the handles get a lot hotter.

hurricane-burner.jpg

Here is what the burners look like and how they are mounted. I have one for the HLT and one for the boil kettle. The shield is basically to protect the surrounding area from heat.

100_4915.jpg

You have to be really careful not to choke off the air going to that burner. I wouldn't let the wind guard extend much lower than the cast ring portion. I'm thinking something like a 4" tall ring at most. If you want it taller, give it a lot more clearance, like a 14" diameter ring.

+1 the burners with a venturi work well with a shield because the air for combustion is pulled thru the venturi. I think Jet burners are terrible with a shield.

I have a single jet burner and I welded on a shield. It was horrible. At low heat it worked fine but if you jacked up the flame it would not fully combust inside the shield and would try to back out under the shield and then explode outside the shield. Kinda scary. I cut some holes in the shield to help with ventilation but that did nothing. I then cut off the shield and declared it a failed project.

A single jet is not exactly the same as those multi jets but they work similarly with no venturi.

Back