Bottling this weekend - what clarity is normal after 3 weeks in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stricklandia

Reaction score
First-timer brewing my first batch, and getting ready to bottle this weekend. I planned to bottle sooner, but after reading some posts here, I decided to leave it in the fermenter for longer (will be 3 weeks total). From what I read, I seemed to understand that the clarity of the beer would improve over this time, compared to the cloudiness right after active fermentation stopped. But the clarity hasn't really changed over the past two weeks, after it initially cleared after active fermentation stopped. It's not super cloudy now, but I wouldn't exactly call it clear either.

Is the fact that the clarity hasn't really changed indicative of anything? Or is this normal, and it will continue to clear up during bottle conditioning?

Some strains of yeast will clear quicker than others. If you want to accelerate proceeedings you could try either adding finings or putting your beer somewhere cold.... or both.

It is normal at this stage. Adding finings like gelatin now will clear your beer, but only do that if you are going to keg or force carb. Cold crashing works well for getting more particles to drop out of solution. Just my .02

You can still add gelatin if you are planning to bottle. There will be plenty of yeast left to naturally carbonate your beer.

Back