Chitosan or Isinglass - Newbie needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahineman

Reaction score
Hello All. Pure beginner here. I have a two Vintner's Reserve wine kits (my first attempts at wine) in secondary. A cabernet and a reisling. The cabernet is ready for the fining agent and I've degassed per the instructions. However, over thanksgiving the remaining ingredients for the two kits got mixed up. Both kits had metabi and sorbate, but one had chitosan and one had isinglass.

Can anyone tell me which agent goes with which wine??

I think the chitosan was for the cabernet, but I mistakenly used the isinglass this morning after adding the metabi and sorbate. Have I screwed up both batches now?

If my guess is right and the isinglass was for the reisling, should i buy more isinglass or simply use the chitosan with the reisling when the time comes?

I appreciate the help!!

Hello All. Pure beginner here. I have a two Vintner's Reserve wine kits (my first attempts at wine) in secondary. A cabernet and a reisling. The cabernet is ready for the fining agent and I've degassed per the instructions. However, over thanksgiving the remaining ingredients for the two kits got mixed up. Both kits had metabi and sorbate, but one had chitosan and one had isinglass.

Can anyone tell me which agent goes with which wine??

I think the chitosan was for the cabernet, but I mistakenly used the isinglass this morning after adding the metabi and sorbate. Have I screwed up both batches now?

If my guess is right and the isinglass was for the reisling, should i buy more isinglass or simply use the chitosan with the reisling when the time comes?

I appreciate the help!!

It really doesn't matter. Those finings can be used in any type of wine, so you can use the chitosan with the riesling if you want. They are both positive charged finings.

Here's probably more info than you wanted on finings and types: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp Go about 1/2 way down to read a bit about finings.

Thanks for the reply and help. It looks like I could use either. But now i'm curious why one kit included chitosan and one had isinglass. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks in advance.

Back