Cider too sharp (acidic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk4dk4

Reaction score
pH is 2.6 measured with digital meter.
I have never tested, adjusted my ciders before. I'm wondering if anyone has used calcium carbonate powder (chalk) to lower the acid and raise the pH. I read that 3.2 to 3.6 is target for cider pH...

Does this adjust flavor etc...
Thanks!

Hmm...... that's kind of a bummer, eh. Chalk should help -- I've never done it, but it seems worth a try. The other thing you could try is the addition of malolactic bacteria -- you should be able to order this on the web. It changes malic acid from the apples (very sour) to lactic acid (still sour but not nearly as much). But this also takes time -- another month or two at least. If you want to drink the stuff soon then try the chalk thing. Good luck!!

Hmm I'm not sure a malo would work starting at 2.6 pH level. Pretty sure malo's like 4.0 range for initial pH.
I'm wondering if there is a juice I could blend with that I could try to raise the pH that way?

Back