Video Editing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What is some good video editing software?

Just bought a digital camcorder and wanted to record some brewing videos but I wanted to add HOMEBREWTALK.COM at the bottom right of the video.

Windows Movie Maker is actually pretty simple, and it's bundled with XP and Vista. It's what I used for my first few homebrewing videos.

Now I've switched to Linux. I'll pile on to this thread and ask if anyone has any experience with video editing under Linux? If so, what works best for you? I've used Cinelerra with little success (feature rich, but not so user friendly). Is Blender simpler? Is there something else I should check out?

Yuri_rage said:
I'll pile on to this thread and ask if anyone has any experience with video editing under Linux? If so, what works best for you? I've used Cinelerra with little success (feature rich, but not so user friendly). Is Blender simpler? Is there something else I should check out?

Cinelerra is kind of a pain in the butt. What I use on Debian is Kino, and I'm sure it's in the Ubuntu repos as well (I recall you run Ubuntu).

Blender is a 3D modeling and rendering application, it's not designed for video editing and it CERTAINLY isn't simple to grasp (it makes Photoshop look like tic-tac-toe by comparison).

I tried Kino but I agree the text looks bad. Do I have to break down and buy a Mac to edit videos?

I'm rocking Adobe Premiere Pro, but that's not exactly low budget. It's kind of the PC opposition of the Mac-only Final Cut Pro. I like it because my training was on FCP, but APP is 90% the same, so I can easily use both.

I've seen decent amateur videos done on Windows Movie Maker, though. Not indie film style, but better than just patching clips together.

Check out Ulead Video Studio if you don't want to settle for windows Movie Maker. Starting with version 10, it even has a dolby 5.1 mixer to make surround sound DVD. It has a lot more power than I've been able to take advantage of. It's no FCP or Premier (which I have but can't be bothered to learn), but it's good enough.

Back