Losing Minerals in the HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used my Electric HLT (converted keg) for about (8) 10-gal batches so far. I took a look inside this morning and noticed a fair buildup of minerals on the element and also on the walls of the keg itself.

I just recently started adjusting my brew water. I am no chemist but was just curious if anyone thinks there is enough being left behind in the HLT to be of any consequence.

Has anyone tested a water sample post HLT to compare with their tap water?

Stop adding minerals to the water. They have to go into the mash directly so that the lowered pH will dissolve the minerals.

I am not adding anything to the water. I am making additions to the mash and boil kettle as necessary.

My question is about the tap water profile changing after running through the HLT. I have had my tap water tested and base my additions on that. When run through the electric HLT is obviously loosing some minerals based on the mineral buildup on everything (not sure if it is enough to make any difference).

I think the electric heating must have something to do with drawing out minerals because I never had any deposits when heating strike and sparge water with gas.

I was just wondering if anyone has compared a tap water profile to a post electric heating profile?

Oh, ok, I see. I think with a high wattage element, you actually heat the water near the element pretty hot and then convection moves it around slowly. It might be even boiling it right near the element causing precipitation of carbonate. One way I can think of to avoid it is to add a stirring motor to the lid.

Oh, ok, I see. I think with a high wattage element, you actually heat the water near the element pretty hot and then convection moves it around slowly. It might be even boiling it right near the element causing precipitation of carbonate. One way I can think of to avoid it is to add a stirring motor to the lid.

Sorry I guess I was a little unclear. I knew what I was asking though:D

Yeah, that makes sense. I am sure that is why they recommend flushing electric water heaters ocassionally. I have seen a few quite full of deposits.

I do stir the HLT with a small pump pulling water from the bottom and returning it to the top. The pump I am using now is not working well enough but I just ordered one that should give about 10gpm transfer.

Do you think this might keep the minerals from precipitating? It should cause a good stirring action as it will transfer all the water at least every 1.5 minutes.

If anyone has compared a sample of their water after electric heating. I am curious of the results. There is obviously something coming out. I will probably test mine again in the spring and may just send in two samples.

Back