Starter for a Dopplebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneWolfPR

Reaction score
I have a dopplebock recipe I was planning on brewing late fall to give it plenty of time to lager for a traditional Lent release. I've never prepared a starter before as it hasn't really been necessary in the ales I've brewed. The only lager I've brewed used a starter, but it was a collaboration with a friend (he made the starter) that has since moved away.

So anyway, here's my question. I put the specs for my recipe into MrMalty. It's an OG of 1.082 at 5.5 gallons. I'll be building a stir plate and using that for the starter. MrMalty says I need three packs/vials if with a starter. The starter should be 2.39 liters it says. Now, do they mean pitch the 3 packs/vials into a 2.39 liter wort starter, or pitch those in addition to a starter that's been made? If they mean pitch the 3 packs into a 2.39 liter wort starter, isn't there a way a could grow one up from one pack/vial to save money? If so how would I grow up a suitable starter from 1 pack. MrMalty says I need about 615 billion cells.

You can step up a starter. One vial in 2L will turn into roughly 2 vials. Higher inoculation rates result in lower %increases. Dont have the chart handy but I believe 2 vials in 2 L will give you roughly 3 vials worth of yeast.

Correct my if I'm wrong but won't 1 smack pack in a 2L stir plate starter make 400B cells (essentially quadrupling the yeast)

Buying multiple packs of yeast always struck me as lavish and absurd. Just buy one pack and do 1- or 2-stage starters. You can always use a 4-L growler too, available for $5 at your LHBS. Especially if you use a stirplate, you definitely don't need to buy 2-3 yeast packs.

Use yeastcalc.com to figure out the stepping for that many cells.

LoneWolfPR said:
Awesome. Thanks. Just so I know, how do I know when each step is done? Does it just take a day or 2 per step?

Gravity reading would be ideal. Once u make a few you can tell by activity in the flask. Usually the gravity will be close to 1.000 or slightly higher depending on what extract u use. Less than 1.010. Usually takes about 24 to 30hrs on a stirplate.

LoneWolfPR said:
Awesome. Thanks. Just so I know, how do I know when each step is done? Does it just take a day or 2 per step?
You can wait and sort of guess by the look of it, or use an airlock. Taking a sg reading seems impractical, but i guess you could.

Off topic I know, but there are great dry yeast choices for lagers. Rehydrate a couple of packages and you're done...no muss, no fuss.

I'd dry to pitch 650 billion cells for a 1.082 doppelbock. Three packs of dry rehydrated should get you there. I like W-34/70.

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Saflager_W-3470_HB.pdf
This analysis says about 6 billion cells per gram. An 11.5 gram pack then only has about 69 billion cells totaling only 207 billion cells. Am I missing something?

First off, I commend you for looking at the product sheet. Most people fail to do that.

The little ">" (greater than) sign before the 6 billion can be interpreted in this case to mean "at least" or "at a minimum." The numbers I have seen from various sources indicate 20 billion is a reasonable number to assume unless the yeast has been mishandled in some way. Good question though.

Back