Please help with my bar design.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
We are in the midst of renovating a house we just purchased.

The basement has finished bedrooms, bathrooms and closets, but the rest of it is finished as one massive room, approximately 31' x 35', less a stairway and mechanical room.

I am proposing to cut up the massive room by framing out a fitness room, leaving the rest as a media room and games area.

basement%2520layout1.jpeg

media%2520room%2520layout%25201.jpeg

We would like to put a pool table and/or ping pong table in the games area. Possibly a card table. Did I mention my wife is a Mrs. Packman addict ? Maybe a video game as well.

Backing on to the bedroom access area is a 6x10 room that I think we would like to use as a bar/kitchenette area.

bar%2520kitchenette%2520layout.jpeg

I say kitchenette because there is a good chance that we would have an elderly parent or student attending university staying with us and we'd like to give them the ability to do a bit of simple cooking (microwave, toaster oven) and store a bit of food there in a small fridge.

I'd like to serve homebrew (what else ???) from this bar, so it would need a kegerator and taps somewhere.

There is presently a wall separating the 6x10 room from the games area, but we could easily remove it. There is a beam in the wall, but the basement has 9 foot ceilings and there is about 8 feet under the beam, so headroom shouldn't be an issue.

How should I finish this area out ?

If the bar goes approximately where the wall is, would you allow access from the front or would you require access via the door into the room ?

I've seen a lot of basement bars go largely unused. However, we entertain a lot. We see this as the area of the house where we would have movie night, watch a sports game, have a pool tournament, etc.

What say ye on making wise use of this space ?

Thanks !

Back