Never ditch a brew too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
Newbie on batch #3.
Batch #1 and #2 after 2 or 3 weeks in bottles were pretty uninspiring -- flat, watery, tasteless. I was going to ditch them. But I just stuck 'em in a corner and went away on holiday for a week.

Guess what? 10 days later they are *much* improved -- decent head, more flavor.

I guess the lesson here is never ditch a brew too soon.

Mike

I've only dumped three batches in five years, all obviously infected. One of the reasons I have lots of cornies is to give brews time. Craft beers can really change in a week or even a couple months.

i've only ditched one batch. my yeast died and i didn't have a LHBS so i went to the store and got bread yeast(figured i'd try it) this was early in my brewing hobby. it fermented but smelled like sour dough so it never even saw the bottle. i dumped the whole thing! :(

I once brewed with a friend, and his girlfriend poured the yeast down the drain (it was in a bowl with lukewarm water to activate it a little before it was pitched). So all we had was the little bit of yeast caked to the bottom of the bowl. I figured he was screwed, especially since the local HBS was closed for 2 more days (saturday night, didnt open till tuesday). But when he went to pitch the yeast that he picked up that Tuesday, it was bubbling right along, the small amount of yeast that we had originally put in, was enough to keep 'er from going bad I guess. Needless to say, he still added the rest of the yeast.

we'll find out in a few weeks exactly how well it came out.

I once brewed a beer that did not taste bad until it was in the bottle for weeks. Upon trying it after it had been in the bottle for three weeks I put it back in the closet for about three months. It was better and three months later, even better. Try not to give up on beer, even if it seems to go bad. I have done experiments on beer degredation, and it makes for some interesting research to keep a beer until it goes completely bad. It will help with your experience in aging beers.

FrewBrew said:
I once brewed with a friend, and his girlfriend poured the yeast down the drain (it was in a bowl with lukewarm water to activate it a little before it was pitched). So all we had was the little bit of yeast caked to the bottom of the bowl. I figured he was screwed, especially since the local HBS was closed for 2 more days (saturday night, didnt open till tuesday). But when he went to pitch the yeast that he picked up that Tuesday, it was bubbling right along, the small amount of yeast that we had originally put in, was enough to keep 'er from going bad I guess. Needless to say, he still added the rest of the yeast.

we'll find out in a few weeks exactly how well it came out.
Yeah, but the main question is; did she take it very hard when he left her?

Back