Help with extract recipe chocolate oatmeal milk stout ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutmonster

Reaction score
hi guys, im looking for a extract recipe... looking to make something different ..
oatmeal chocolate milk stout .. with vanilla beans... if anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it... any recipes you have made or a recipe that i could tweak by adding something perhaps? thanks in advance.

thats what i was thinking , im not overly experienced this will be my third time brewing.. i heard the adding beans is better then the extract ?

If i cant find this specific recipe i may just get try and find a chocolate stour recipe and add the beans and also the lactase for the creamy taste.

any other ideas guys are appreciated , like i said im a novice lol.

Stoutmonster,

While I understand the compulsion to brew odd things, I urge you to keep it as simple as possible for a while. Get to know the craft of brewing, the brewing process, and how it applies in your brewery, before you go making stuff like Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout. There are lots of different things going on in such a recipe that will not necessarily preclude success, but will make it a lot harder to attain.

Take, for example, the oatmeal part of the name. Unless you're a mashing brewer - partial mash or all-grain - you cannot use oats in your beer. Sure, you could just steep them, but all they'd add is foam-killing fat/lipids and amorphous glop. Not to put too fine a point on it, but what you want just isn't possible. As an extract brewer, you're better off eating the oatmeal then taking a sip of well-crafted, simple Stout you brewed yourself. ;)

For a simple Stout you'll be happy with, I've this recipe.

All I'm saying is get used to brewing before you make it complicated. Master chefs don't start with Toulouse cassoulet; they start with simple, master that, and work their way up. That way they're more assured of success when they try something complicated or create something new.

I see all too many new brewers come and go. The come wanting to brew some Frankenstein beer with weird flavors. They go because they don't succeed. If they'd brew simple things for a while first, they'd stick around, because they'd feel a lot better about their success rate! :)

Anyway, that's my advice. YMMV.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Stoutmonster,

While I understand the compulsion to brew odd things, I urge you to keep it as simple as possible for a while. Get to know the craft of brewing, the brewing process, and how it applies in your brewery, before you go making stuff like Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout. There are lots of different things going on in such a recipe that will not necessarily preclude success, but will make it a lot harder to attain.

Take, for example, the oatmeal part of the name. Unless you're a mashing brewer - partial mash or all-grain - you cannot use oats in your beer. Sure, you could just steep them, but all they'd add is foam-killing fat/lipids and amorphous glop. Not to put too fine a point on it, but what you want just isn't possible. As an extract brewer, you're better off eating the oatmeal then taking a sip of well-crafted, simple Stout you brewed yourself. ;)

For a simple Stout you'll be happy with, I've this recipe.

All I'm saying is get used to brewing before you make it complicated. Master chefs don't start with Toulouse cassoulet; they start with simple, master that, and work their way up. That way they're more assured of success when they try something complicated or create something new.

I see all too many new brewers come and go. The come wanting to brew some Frankenstein beer with weird flavors. They go because they don't succeed. If they'd brew simple things for a while first, they'd stick around, because they'd feel a lot better about their success rate! :)

Anyway, that's my advice. YMMV.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Great advice Bob. When I first started brewing, I always tried to make epic creations. Constant disappointment in the end result had me walk away from the process for awhile out of frustration. When I came back to brewing, it was after studying all of the literature available, and the great resources of this website. I started doing extract only, and now I'm comfortable doing PM's (I just don't have the money or space for FM). :rockin:

Now having said that, I have a recipe that I worked on for a Chocolate Stout that is fermenting right now. Hopefully it turns out good. If not, I'll still probably drink it. :D If it turns out to be any good I will post the recipe in the forums.

If you're dead set on working up a Chocolate Stout, I would look at Chsre Cat's recipe. It's solid and has gotten rave reviews.

Enjoy the journey! :mug:

Back