Scotch Ale Initial Fermentation over 75F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slvrmon92

Reaction score
Hey this is my second batch of beer. The first being a IPA that is still in secondary.

I pitched yeast everything fine.

So this is a strong scotch Ale . OG @ 1.090. Wee Heavy Almost.

Next morning nice bubbles (12 hours). First blow off at about 3:00pm (18 hours). Fermentation nice and cool around 68f. Same for when I went to bed. Woke up yesterday morning(36 hours) and bubbling was slowed and temp was up to around 77F. Opened the window and it still stayed a little above 75.

Please help. What should I do next? It is only been 2 days. Did I kill the yeast? Can I pitch more yeast?

Don't worry. Yeast can ferment a beer incredibly fast, especially if the temp was high. Find a nice-cool (65' degree) place and leave your beer there for at least 2 weeks. Maybe take a gravity reading in a week to see how far she dropped. Don't add more yeast! Chances are everything is fine, its pretty damn hard to kill your yeast.

Chances are that you may have some off flavors if the temp got too high for the particular strain (What yeast did you use?) but you wont know until you have given it plenty of time. This means 2-3 weeks in primary minimum and then more time in a secondary and probably another 6 weeks in bottles/keg before you really know.

Back