Buckwheat Malt Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitchell3

Reaction score
Can anyone describe the flavors they get in their beer from buckwheat? I get a weird almost tart flavor without the acidity that i think may be the buckwheat but i have a hard time describing it. I want to say sourdough bread, but thats not quite right either.

So im 3 batches in with my all grain gluten free brewing and my third batch i omitted buckwheat, and the beer out of the fermenter doesnt seem to have that character im ascribing to the buckwheat. The first batch had 7.8% buckwheat and the second had 10% buckwheat.

My understanding is buckwheat malt is generally included yo aid with 1) head retention and 2) body. Is this correct? Do you think it would be possible to obtaIn a meaningful head retention character without the weird flavor with 5% or as little as 1-2% buckwheat?

Cheers!

I don't think i notice much flavor contribution of the buckwheat at all. I use it in 10 to 13% of grain bill.

I have made batches without buckwheat when i was low on supply and don't remember it being a huge difference on head retention and mouthfeel. If you can taste the difference and don't like it, leave it out and that is one less malt to keep track of. :)

I dont remember tart flavors from buckwheat malt, but its been a long time since I have used it.

non malted buckwheat groats from the grocery store work out great...today I used Bobs Red Mill brand.

Anyone ever use buckwheat honey? I tasted some once and I thought it strongly resembled malt extract in taste.

When I brewed with sorghum syrup, 100% buckwheat honey was a staple. After some experimentation I settled on use of Belgian Candy Syrup, 100% Buckwheat honey and maltodextrin as standard ingredients. Lots of recipe examples on this forum.

Back