Great Restaurant, Nasty Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
I know the tide seems to be changing, but doesn't it piss you off when you just know you're not going to get a great beer at a restaurant that serves great food? Even my favorite ''beer friendly'' pub that always has at least 10 different beers on tap sometimes fails to have at least one decent IPA or any IPA at all for that matter. I haven't been there in over a month because of that and an experience I had with a snotty little child waitress that didn't seem to understand the importance I place in my beer. It just didn't compute with her and turned her into a hateful little brat just because I tried to educate her in a friendly way. She ended up telling everyone at my table to have a nice evening, except for me. I guess that was because she realized that maybe she didn't ''know it all''.

I just get to the point sometimes where even when I'm in a super great mood, I feel like I'm a huge boil on someone's ass just for asking them to supply me with a beer list. I feel like I'm wasting the waitress's time or something. On the other hand, there are a few joints I will go out of my way for because they always have a Loose Cannon tap flowing.

I'm not alone right? I guess I know better than to ask...maybe I just want some moral support from the homebrew community...or maybe you guys could step it up a notch and explain to me how you are a horrible ass clown of a customer compared to me.

I mentioned this in a post the other day but, I won't hold my breath when it comes to ordering beer at any of the eateries around here. Consequently, I don't think I have ever been served a beer I didn't order. Kansas City has some great places with some great beer selections. For me, 90% of the experience is just being there, with my friends, enjoying an afternoon, evening or whatever. Honestly, the only time I would say anything negative about the beer being served is if it comes from dirty lines. Even then, I have to keep in mind that it's not the fault of the person serving the beer, it's the fault of the person pouring the beer. Ultimately, it's his / her responsibility to make sure my beer shows up tasting the way it should. If it's wrong, whether it's a bad keg or dirty lines, it's their job to do something about it.

As far as the young 'know it all' waitstaff goes, I would imagine that most of their 'beer education' comes from what their management provides. Which, I'm sure ain't much, unfortunately. Subconsciously, they're probably not going to take anything from a 'beer drinker' seriously. It won't matter what you ordered or how much you know. I feel there should be more of an emphasis on in-house training in regards to beer. It is no longer a case of 'Bud, Miller and Coors' and it hasn't been for a long time.

"the importance I place in my beer"

You really didn't explain what your issue was with the waitress, so it's hard to offer you any support. Life is too short to spend much time on dealing with a bad server. I usually show my dislike with a low tip or don't return. Sometimes if I like the restaurant I will let management know of my woes and will return if they respond to me in a positive manner.

Hard to know how "friendly" your attempt to educate the waitress may have been. There's a line between a friendly conversation and a condescending snobbery, don't know which it was without having been there. Waitresses I know tend to bust their ass, she may just not have had time for a lecture. The whole thing about "she told everyone at the table to have a good night, except me" just sounds kind of... petty.

I agree it sucks to go to a restaurant, even a mid level place and have a choice of two types of Sam Adams, or maybe if your lucky Bass. And the staff's attitude is that it is only beer dude... Chill.

But where it is at with most decent restaurants is the economics. Gross sales for the day (Plus or minus):
Food 65% with a cost of sales of 30%
Wine 20%, cost of sales 40%
Liquor 12%, cost of sales 20%
Beer 3%, cost of sales 20%

So: $5,000 day = Gross profit from:
Food: $2,275
Wine: $600
Liquor: $480
Beer: $120

This varies a lot, but is about where it is at with nicer restaurants. So where do you think they focus their attention? Most everyone will have a meal, you can sell apps, salads, and desserts. Most will have something to drink, and it will probably be wine or liquor, or both. So the mgmt tries to up-sell these things. Nicer beers are an up and comming thing in this country.

If you go to this place regularly, ask for the mgr, and ask them to get something decent!! Educate the mgr..

I mentioned this in a post the other day but, I won't hold my breath when it comes to ordering beer at any of the eateries around here. Consequently, I don't think I have ever been served a beer I didn't order. Kansas City has some great places with some great beer selections. For me, 90% of the experience is just being there, with my friends, enjoying an afternoon, evening or whatever. Honestly, the only time I would say anything negative about the beer being served is if it comes from dirty lines. Even then, I have to keep in mind that it's not the fault of the person serving the beer, it's the fault of the person pouring the beer. Ultimately, it's his / her responsibility to make sure my beer shows up tasting the way it should. If it's wrong, whether it's a bad keg or dirty lines, it's their job to do something about it.

SO I hear my favorite place near Unity Village, Strother's is gone. So much for the decent beer selection and the deep fried, stuffed olives. :(

My main problem with the waitress was the fact that when she asked me what it was I wanted to drink I kindly responded by explaining to her why I was disappointed by the lack of an IPA on tap which usually is on a regular basis she rolled her eyes. One thing my wife and friends would tell you guys is that I am great with waitresses and this was unusual. The point is, I wholeheartedly was trying to be friendly and did the usual things to help her let her guard down and relax because after all, we are a fun group and just want to enjoy our time out. We just happen to place beer quality right up there with food and service.

That's beside the point. I just want to see better choices regardless of where I'm at and who's serving us.

If you're the only person requesting an IPA, guess what's going to be on tap?
Nicely saying you'd prefer an IPA, then ordering something you like out of what is available is cool.
Restaurants will put whatever makes them money/sells the most on tap, just know that the majority of beer drinkers out there are happy with BMC.

There's a very fancy restaurant in town that Mrs. TexasSpartan and I go to about once a year and drop a couple hundred bucks on dinner. The chef/owner is a CIA grad, the place has won a bunch of awards, been mentioned in the New York times yada yada yada.

Yeah, the best beer they have is Sam Adams.

I know that Texas isn't known as a craft beer state and my city doesn't even have a brewpub. It just sucks that the owners have obviously put a lot of effort into creating great food and a huge wine list, but just basically said "**** it, we don't care" when it comes to their beer list.

I think we are kind of lucky in Wisconsin as New Glarus is pretty widespread here. As long as you like Spotted Cow that is.(which I don't) I go out, I order mixers. Craft beer may be more becoming more wides[read but it is still only 5% of all beer sales in the US. Unless you are going to a brewpub, good luck on finding a nice selection let alone that beer being fresh enough to actually taste good.

I notice you are in Northern Harford County, have you checked out DuClaw in Bel Air? I live dangerously close to them and I'm pretty hooked. Both food and beer are excellent.

I notice you are in Northern Harford County, have you checked out DuClaw in Bel Air? I live dangerously close to them and I'm pretty hooked. Both food and beer are excellent.

Yes I have been there a few times, but we don't like the food too much and they re-use their yeast too many times resulting in weird flavors in the beer. They have some decent beer though, I'm not saying it's bad because it's not, but word has it (and taste too) the yeast is stretched quite a distance.

The place I'm talking about is in Belair (Sean Bolands'). I love the place and the owner takes pride in being a beer oriented pub, but he's obsessed with Guiness (yuck!) I've talked to him on several occasions about good IPA's and he claims he always has one on tap, but I've been there to see absolutely none on tap. Once he had 2 crappy IPA's on tap and I asked him why it's so rare that he gets Loose Cannon or Evolution IPA. He said the Cannon costs too much for being so close to the brewery, but I say, ''damn, the beer is one of the very best so it's not going to be cheap''.

Since you live near Belair try out Black Horse Saloon on Main St. Used to be the Rope Walk Tavern. Now they have great beer all the time and the food is just fine.

Guys, don't get the wrong idea about this thread. I obviously know where to go to get good beer and food, I'm just striking up some conversation and I actually see things changing overall. I just know everyone here has been to a bar or restaurant and has been disappointed by the usual commercial beer choices. The members here, of all people should know exactly where I'm coming from. You are the good guys as far as I'm concerned. I can't tell you how many of my friends consistantly tell me, ''You really got me drinking some great beer lately, but I'm getting crazy with it.'' It's great to see my friends come around. They can't drink Coors light anymore, haha.

If you're the only person requesting an IPA, guess what's going to be on tap?
Nicely saying you'd prefer an IPA, then ordering something you like out of what is available is cool.
Restaurants will put whatever makes them money/sells the most on tap, just know that the majority of beer drinkers out there are happy with BMC.

I can't tell you how many customers have told me they love IPA's at this bar. This is an Irish joint, so I can see where the owner may be coming from, but I'm not the only IPA hophead that comes through his door. There's quite a few. It would be easy if the food and atmosphere sucked, but I like the place and have discovered some great IPA's there, just not lately.

I like a good beer with a good meal, but I won't stop going someplace where I love the food just because they don't serve good beer. If they don't have something I like I just wont order beer. Thats just me.

Back