No bittering hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowbie

Reaction score
Having seen the emails from Bells floating around that say Hopslam only uses late addition hops, I decided on a whim to try out that idea in my latest IPA. Has anyone else ever tried this? How did it turn out?

Here is the recipe I brewed last weekend (it's also my first all grain using DB's stovetop method):

2.5 Gallon batch

6 lbs. 2 row
.5 lbs. Victory malt
Mashed at 152F for 60 min.
Actual OG ended up being 1.070 (I think I ended up with closer to 2.25 gal)

15 mins: .5 oz. each of Centennial and Amarillo
10 mins: .5 oz. each of Centennial and Amarillo
5 mins: .25 oz each of Centennial and Amarillo
.75 oz. each Centennial and Amarillo dry hop

Calculated IBUs: 62 (Bells claims 65 for Hopslam)

I've had good lucks with "hop bursting" my only real observation is that the IBUs don’t end up coming across as bitter as it calculates. So I would over-bitter by ~10-20% based on what I was going for. Certainly never done a real side-by-side test, just a general observation from a few trials.

I've had good lucks with "hop bursting" my only real observation is that the IBUs don’t end up coming across as bitter as it calculates. So I would over-bitter by ~10-20% based on what I was going for. Certainly never done a real side-by-side test, just a general observation from a few trials.

I've noticed that too. Any chance cohomulene takes longer to isomerize than the rest so it just comes off as less bitter even tho its the same?

As for the recipe, I recently did one very similar and it came out fantastic.

hop_util1.png

Back