Mash Tun Construction Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfsaunders05

Reaction score
I'm nearing completion of making a mash tun with a rubbermaid cooler and 1/2" copper piping (a picture was taken, but i couldn't figure out how to attach it). I'm preparing to cut slits in the manifold with a hacksaw halfway through the diameter of the pipe...

my question is wether i should have the slits facing up, or facing down in the cooler??? i've seen it done both ways, but was curious if one way had an advantage over the other.

I'm leaning towards having them face down because i feel it would be less likely to clog during the sparge.

any insight would be great

thanks

Haha...funny thing. I've been brewing for years now, and I always assumed they were supposed to be facing up. I never had stuck sparges and clogs until recently when I went back to using my old system for smaller beers. I posted a question on here and found out that the slits should be facing down. Amazing.

So, I guess in short...it doesn't matter a whole lot, but you should face them downwards just incase.

Yup, works the same as a perforated drainage tile. holes down for maximum drainage

Latest posts

Back