High Fructose Corn Syrup and Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverSwillBeer

Reaction score
Does anyone know the conversion of cane sugar to HFCS ???

I used HFCS a long time ago for root beer and got it tasting awesome. I have since lost my notes and cant find anything online.

I like to keep my soda making simple and fun. Just add to taste. I find about 2 cups of sugar per 3-4 liters is good. I would use about 1 - 1.5 cups of HFCS. It depends on how sweet you like your soda. The first time you do it just make a simple syrup of corn syrup and water than add to taste to the soda wort. See what you like and make a note of it.

Kevin

In theory, HFCS is weight for weight as sweet as sucrose. I find it to be much, much sweeter, I can't drink commercial sodas that use it. So, YMMV.

A lot has to do with the % rating of the fructose 55% fructose is way way sweeter than 42% fructose. the 55 is what the soda companys use and way to sweet for my taist. they use it because it takes less saveing them money. the 42% fructose is tast good in sweet tea and the such. I make the stuff for a living and I would use sugar cain if I were you ;)

Back