Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flounder

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered many times before but I searched and could not find a specific answer to this question. I have an IPA in the primary (bucket) going on its third week. I do not plan to move to a secondary but I would like to give this cold crashing a shot. Two questions: 1) Can I cold crash at about 40 degrees f in the plastic bucket, 2) How long should I cold crash? Ideally I would like to keg it this weekend so should I move the primary into the fridge today which would give it several days or should I wait a week (so that it will be in primary for three weeks before cold crashing for a week. Four weeks total primary time)? Thanks for the help. You guys make this hobby very painless.

While you can cold crash in the primary, you will get better results moving it to a secondary and crashing in it.

In either case, I give mine about 48 hours, then rack off to the keg. You want to be careful not to disturb any of the trub when racking off.

Worse case - the first draw off the keg could be a little cloudy. I am always the first to drink it, so who cares!

looyvillelarry pretty much summed it up. the longer the better with a cold crash, but you get results in one day even. just drink it alone until it clears up if its still a little cloudy ;)

Latest posts

Back