Guardrail Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobInIndy

Reaction score
In "celebration" of SWMBO sliding off the road and hitting a guardrail on her way home from work tonight, I'm brewing this:

Guardrail Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
OG:1.046
IBUs:39
Boil Volume: 4.5 gal
Final volume: 3.5 gal
Yeast: SO-5

Grain bill:
5 lbs Rahr 2-row
12oz Crystal 20L
8oz Crystal 60L

Hops:
.25 oz Magnum(13.4%) 60
.25 oz Cascade(6.3%) 10
.25 oz Amarillo(8.9%) 10
.125 oz Simcoe(12%) 10
..25 oz Cascade(6.3%) 5
.25 oz Amarillo(8.9%) 5
.125 oz Simcoe(12%) 5
.5 oz Cascade(6.3%) Aroma
.5 oz Amarillo(8.9%) Aroma

Mash in 7 quarts @ 155* for 70 minutes. Sparge twice with 6 quarts each time @ 170*

I had to top off with 2 quarts after mashing to reach my target volume of 4.5 gals, but I still hit my target SG of 1.039.

Anyone ever brewed something similar to this? It's my first all grain recipe, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and SWMBO is fine...

I've not brewed something exactly like that, but you have something that looks to me somewhat like a mild (at least in bittering, color and SG) though a mild is not known for it's hops which you have a fair bit of flavor/aroma hops. I'm sure it will be tasty though, you got good efficiency, especially for your first batch, congrats!

After only a week or so in the fermenter, this tastes pretty darn amazing. It is definitely flavorful.

If it tastes as good as I suspect it wil after bottling and carbing, I will add it to the recipe list for others to try.

I'm just not sure what category to add it to. It's sort of dark for a pale ale...like maybe ~15 SRM...So maybe American Amber Ale.

Latest posts

Back