Transplanting- Pot to ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaPhil

Reaction score
So my wife and I just bought our first house (hooray!). We close on November 6th and will be moving at some point in the following weeks.

Right now I have a 2 year cascade in a half barrel planter. We're in a townhouse now so there's not anywhere I could have put it in the ground. Our new house, however, has what seems to be a pretty good spot to plant on the east side of the house. Should get plenty of AM sun but not be scorchingly hot in the afternoons like my current growing spot is.

So the question is...Do I transplant as soon as we move in November or wait until closer to spring? I'm in Georgia so it won't be that cold yet when we move.

I've already found a few blog posts that talk about transplanting so I have a general idea of how to go about it. Anyone have any extra experience to offer?

Congratulations on the new house.

It will be fine to transplant at that time, especially if the plant is dormant when you place it. Mulching will help protect it further in case of a colder winter.

I would wait until spring. I'm sure you'll have more than enough going on with a new home (I bought mine almost 2 years ago and STILL have nothing in the back yard) between moving in and the six months that follow. Congratulations on the house. A benefit of planting in the spring is you may find a better location after "choosing" one in the first month or two. With a pot it's easier to move than digging up a rhizome.

Either way should be fine. I'd go ahead and plant it. I transplanted one last fall and it came up. I'm also planning on planting a couple in the next couple weeks. Then they'll be ready right when the ground starts warming up.

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll go ahead and plant it if time allows before it gets too cold.

Back