Just curious?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
So I was thinking of starting to grow my own hops next season and was just curious if you can crossbreed them?

So you can crossbreed and make different strains? Or will it be a plant that grows 2 different varieties

boy hop makes the girl hop have seeds. plant the seeds and you have new/ different varieties. the original plants remain the same, the kids are different.

So I was thinking of starting to grow my own hops next season and was just curious if you can crossbreed them?

Is it possible? As others note below, yes. But it is a complicated endeavor and your success rate will be very low (doubtful you'll find much to keep). You need to have a controlled environment to only introduce the males when you want to and you have to have a couple seasons to raise from seed to something viable.

If it is something you are interested in trying new hops but have no agricultural background on breeding and raising stock, I would caution heavily against doing so.

It is a complicated and time consuming activity and takes years to be able to evaluate the new breeds.

Is it possible? As others note below, yes. But it is a complicated endeavor and your success rate will be very low (doubtful you'll find much to keep). You need to have a controlled environment to only introduce the males when you want to and you have to have a couple seasons to raise from seed to something viable.

If it is something you are interested in trying new hops but have no agricultural background on breeding and raising stock, I would caution heavily against doing so.

It is a complicated and time consuming activity and takes years to be able to evaluate the new breeds.

Is there any books out there on the subject? And I do have a pretty good backround in agriculture as I grew up on a apple orchard grafting and growing trees.

Is there any books out there on the subject? And I do have a pretty good backround in agriculture as I grew up on a apple orchard grafting and growing trees.

Your best bet is to talk to an extension program. Where are you located? Oregon State out west, NC State and Ohio State out East both have hop programs.

Latest posts

Back