How Prepare Apples for Apple Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms8miranda

Reaction score
This is only my 2nd batch of wine so I'm still full of questions (which never come up until I'm in the middle of making it!). :confused:

I am about to start apple wine. This is all the directions say in preparing the apples: "Quarter the apples and run them through a mincer."

Does that mean I leave the stems on and can leave the seeds in? I don't have a mincer....do they need to be minced too?

I'd say a food processor would work just fine. Depending on how much fruit you're using, I'd say remove the apple cores to remove the seeds & stems. If you're going to quarter them anyway, one of those handy cutters that quarters & cores all at the same time, not sure what they're called, but you can find one at just about ANY grocery or hardware store & are usually either next to the vegetable peelers, or sometimes near the produce section. You can see a pic of what I mean here: Apple Slicer/Corer Hope you find this useful, GF.

I don't really do much in the way of preparing them, I just tell the apples they're gonna die.

OK seriously, it really depends on the amount of fruit you're going to be juicing. If it's going to be just a few lbs, then you can pick the seeds and stems out if you want. If it's a crapton of fruit, just juice em all as is.

In order to get the most sugars out of apples, they need to be pressed. You'll need some kind of blender at least, then something to press them with.

I just pulped (using a blender, oxidation :() and pressed about 50-60 lbs. of apples. It took around 10 hours. Leaving the cores, stems, seeds in did not negatively impact flavor. I got great-tasting cider and am looking forward to fermenting it.

Unless you're going for a special blend of apples, or have a significant amount of apples that you need to get rid of, I would just use store-bought juice. Pulping and pressing takes a looong time.

Latest posts

Back