Help - Pumpkin ale questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtbrown54

Reaction score
I'm preparing for my first ever Pumpkin ale this weekend and have questions...

I plan on using 6lb of pumpkin in the mash (I was going to roast the pumpkin puree in the oven for 30 mins with honey drizzle don top then add it to the mash)

here are my questions...

1) I'm using pumpkin pie spice at the end of the boil - how much should I use (5gallon batch) and when?

2) Many of the recipes I've seen online use brown sugar in the boil as well...any recommendations on how much and when to add that as well?

Thanks!

I seem to remember adding the sugar (1lb) with 10 to go, and spice at flameout. I also baked the pumpkin at 350 for an hour with spice and brown sugar.

I fermented mine with pumpkin and added more spice at bottling cause I could hardly taste it. Hope this helps.

make sure you use a ton of rice hulls when putting pumpkin in the mash. I've had so many stuck mashes when adding pumpkin that i just throw it in the boil. This is what I brew every year.

6.67 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.3 %
1.52 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.4 %
0.76 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.48 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.48 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.95 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.98 tsp Brown Sugar (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.98 tsp Cinnamon (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
0.98 tsp Nutmeg (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
1.00 tsp All Spice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Cloves (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
1.00 items Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

I have used King Brian's Samhain pumpkin ale as a base recipe, and the spicing is as follows (5 gallon batch):
1 t. cinnamon (5 min)
1/2 t. allspice (5 min)
1/2 t. ground ginger (5 min)
1/4 t. nutmeg (5 min)
1/4 t. clove (5 min)

Enough to give a subtle spice presence, but not enough to be cloying or annoying. For my tastes, I really wouldn't put any more spice than that in.
And by all means, don't forget the rice hulls or your sparge will be glue.

I made mine with 3 cans of organic pumpkin in the boil, then made a Tea from the pumpkin pie spice and the priming sugar, about 2 tbsp and bottled it, Way tasty stuff.

Back