question about doing 10 gallon batches with 5 gal equip.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikeguns

Reaction score
I like to brew big beers (15lb+ mashes) and typically do 5 gallon batches. I have a big enough brew kettle but only have a 10 gallon mash tun.

Is there any harm in making a batch of wort, dumping it into my boil kettle, then making another batch and then doing a double batch in my kettle (a full size keg).

I would think it would be fine but I was wondering if there were any unexpected pitfalls that some of the more experienced people could point out.

Thanks all..

I don't see why that would be a problem, assuming you're not doing the two mashes a week apart.

One advantage might be to even out any inconsistancies in the overall mash, as long as you're not off in the same direction both times.

good though on the "averaging" jasonsbeer... Frankly, I like to brew, but this last brew took about 5 hours which ain't easy with a wife and two kids.

For those doing 10 gallon batches, what kind of mash tun are y'all using for those brews with a big grain bill?

I started out with a 5 gallon pot and would make a strong enough wart to split it into two carboys, and then top them off with water, making 7 point ABV beers.

ilikeguns said:
I like to brew big beers (15lb+ mashes) and typically do 5 gallon batches. I have a big enough brew kettle but only have a 10 gallon mash tun.

Is there any harm in making a batch of wort, dumping it into my boil kettle, then making another batch and then doing a double batch in my kettle (a full size keg).

I would think it would be fine but I was wondering if there were any unexpected pitfalls that some of the more experienced people could point out.

Thanks all..

I would just heat that first batch to greater than 180F for 10 minutes or so while mashing the 2nd lot, that should stop any continued conversion issues.

I have the same setup, keggle for brew pot but only 9 gallon HLT and 10 gallon cooler. Really want to do 10 gallons and was thinking I'd go extract for next batch. This method here will take awhile but I think would work

I do ten gal batches. My HLT is only 26lts (6.5gals?) and MLT is 40ltrs (10gal) and my BK is 70lts (18gal?). I just sparge twice. Mash and first sparge are with 26lts then second sparge is about 18 to20lts. This works great for me and I get a bit of increased efficiency from the se sparge ( normally get 1050 from 8.5kg grain). Also, saves waiting for a second mash to be done.

Gab1788 said:
I do ten gal batches. My HLT is only 26lts (6.5gals?) and MLT is 40ltrs (10gal) and my BK is 70lts (18gal?). I just sparge twice. Mash and first sparge are with 26lts then second sparge is about 18 to20lts. This works great for me and I get a bit of increased efficiency from the se sparge ( normally get 1050 from 8.5kg grain). Also, saves waiting for a second mash to be done.

How do you heat enough water for your strike? Say you have a basic grain bill of 24 lbs for a 10 gallon batch, that would be 30 quarts of strike water to dough in. I guess you're limited to batches with 20 lbs grain bill?

ilikeguns said:
good though on the "averaging" jasonsbeer... Frankly, I like to brew, but this last brew took about 5 hours which ain't easy with a wife and two kids.

For those doing 10 gallon batches, what kind of mash tun are y'all using for those brews with a big grain bill?

I have 3 keggles, 1 is my mash tun I've had close to 40 lbs of grain in there and no problems.

Back