Using Growlers to Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone foresee any issues with reusing screw-cap growlers to bottle a batch? Will they carbonate OK? Anyone with any experience with this?

There is a good chance you will have rather large grenades on your hands. Typically the glass is too thin and explodes...

There is a good chance you will have rather large grenades on your hands. Typically the glass is too thin and explodes...

That's all I need to hear. Question was actually for a friend who has a bunch of growlers. I have 10 cases of bottles (much to my wife's chagrin) and have no need to bottle in growlers. Thanks for the input.

I have bottled low carbonated stouts in them but nothing highly carbonated. I didnt have any bombs with them but I did bottle an IPA off the keg into a growler and had it explode in my truck when driving and it was shaked a fair amout.

I didn't have a bomb, but as I kept pouring from the growler all the sediment kicked up and the last beer was real cloudy. I suppose if you pour right from the growler into a pitcher you can avoid that problem.

Back