"pitching on the cake" questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Cooper's kit in primary, it's a nut brown ale. The yeast that came with it was an unlabeled "ale yeast" packet. It fermented pretty well for 4 or 5 days after it started, not explosive, but I did set up a blow off tube. I want to move it to secondary today. My next brew is a Fat Tire clone, and I have liquid California yeast for it.

Instead if using my $5 liquid yeast, can I put my new brew into my old yeast? What about the trub?

Thanks!
Lorena

You might want to search on yeast washing. A Fat Tire clone isn't all that dependent on yeast and Cooper's kit use a very neutral fermenting yeast. If the hops are compatible, though, I'd say go ahead & pitch right on the cake. Get the wort temperaure down to 65F if possible to reduce the chance of a major blowoff.

The coopers extract was already hopped- I have no idea what kind. It's very mild, not at all hoppy. Here's the description:
"Traditional two-row malted barley, choice hops and soft water combine in this Old English style dark ale to produce a nutty Northern character; soft, rich, full-bodied with a medium-sweet, malt-driven palate. Color (°SRM) -23.0 IBU - 31.0"

The fat tire clone uses Willamette (1/4 ounce aroma), Herbrucker (1/2 ounce flavor), and Northern Brewer (3/4 oz bittering).

Would you suggest doing a quick yeast washing, instead of pitching on the cake? I haven't made a starter just in case I can reuse the yeast as is. I could save my $5 liquid yeast for a later batch.

I appreciate the help!

I have used the yeast cake and dumped the cooled wart on to of it... Make sure you keep your temp lower though cause you will get some wild fermentation.....

I'm not a big fan of pitching on the cake. for one you have a carboy now nasty with crusty krausen and such. i would rather see you collect the yeast, and then pitch that yeast in a clean environ.

Back